Re: listener won't start (TNS-12545 ) - how to shrink global dbname to 8 chars ?

From: Jason Baugher <jason_at_baugher.pike.il.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:49:33 GMT

PeterJohannsen_at_hotmail.com (pj) wrote in news:4433d0a9.0207220830.92209cb_at_posting.google.com:

> The listener won't start after the machine was rebooted
> (dbstart went off ok, tho):
>
> bash$ .../bin/lsnrctl start
>
> LSNRCTL for Solaris: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on 22-JUL-2002
> 11:30:05
>
> (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Message 1070 not found; No message file for product=network,
> facility=TNSTNS-12545: Messag
> e 12545 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
> TNS-12560: Message 12560 not found; No message file for
> product=network, facility=TNS
> TNS-00515: Message 515 not found; No message file for
> product=network, facility=TNS
> Solaris Error: 2: No such file or directory

Usually the "message not found" errors are due to ORACLE_HOME not being set, or not being set correctly. I notice you specified the lsnrctl program explicitly with a path. That tells me that you don't have the environment set up correctly for the user that owns the database.

As the database owner (looks like you have bash):

ORACLE_HOME=/extra/OraHome1
PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
export ORACLE_HOME PATH

now do your listener startup:

lsnrctl start

You should at least get reasonable error messages now.

However, all your error messages point to the inability to resolve the HOST setting. This should never be a problem when you set an actual IP address. Are you 100% sure of this IP address?

--
Jason Baugher
Virtual Adept Professional Consulting Services