Re: Ensim Web Appliance - Linux?

From: jasonist <jcrawford_at_fuzzcode.com>
Date: 22 Jul 2002 08:48:49 -0700

I am replying to my own message just in case anyone else out there is searching for answrs on this same topic.

We successfully migrated without having to rebuild the kernal or anything possibly "ensim-damaging". We chose Oracle 8i rather than 9i because it's smaller and generally less intrusive than a 9i install. 8i works perfectly for our application needs.

We structured it just as MySQL is structured - in the server host directory. Everyone on the server can have their own Oracle based DBs, as long as they are assigned to an Oracle group. Works the same as MySQL, Perl, etc.

So, in short, yes - this can be done. We are experiencing little to no trouble. However, it DEFINITELY was a hefty install and it took some craftyness since we're running the latest version of Red Hat, and 8i is an outdated version of Oracle. Once installed, and we dumped/imported data, it worked like a charm.

If you're looking to hire someone to handle migration for you, you can drop by our site: http://www.fuzzcode.com.

Good Luck!