Re: 1Z0-020 Oracle8i: New Features for Administrators test

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:09:17 GMT

Pete Sharman wrote:

> In article <fHKZ8.38223$Hj3.115105_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "Richard says...
> >
> >Hi All,
> >
> >Just an example of how silly some of these exams are.
> >
> >When you become certified at a particular level (say 8i) all the exams are
> >primarily based on the "standard" bread 'n butter concepts. Although there
> >are some version specific questions, much of the new stuff is simply not
> >covered. There are *no* partitioning questions in the standard 8i exams.
> >Only the 8i upgrade exams covers many of these new topics (such as
> >partitioning).
> >
> >The main reason for this is that the exams are based entirely on the
> >corresponding Oracle courses. The standard courses simply can't cover all
> >the new features, hence they are not in the exams. The new features are
> >mainly concentrated in the new feature courses hence the upgrade exams are
> >always going to be much "harder" and content rich.
> >
> >Therefore you have the scenario where one OCP may potentially have
> >absolutely no knowledge of basic concepts of the DB (such as partitioning)
> >why another OCP *at the same level* has had to answer these questions
> >(because they upgraded).
> >
> >Work that one out.
> >
> >Richard
>
> See my response to HJR, but I think you're going a bit far in saying
> partitioning is a "basic concept of the DB". It would be interesting to poll
> the participants here to see how many are using partitioning. Basic concepts to
> me means more like starting and stopping databases, creating users etc. (all the
> stuff covered in the Fundamentals training, really).
>
> Pete
> >"Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote in message
> >> It's not that it is harder, it's that it concentrates on just a few areas
> >of
> >> Oracle. So you have to know those areas in much more detail than you
> >would
> >> if you took the "regular" 8i tests.
> >>
> >> "Warren" <Warren_at_Lieu.org> wrote in message

> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>
> Pete
>
> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

I vote for basic concept. And it is not that it is being used on my current project. Rather that if it was required, or an option, how could I possibly make a decision with regard to it if I didn't know that it existed, what it is, and how it works.

I teach partitioning at UW to my first quarter Oracle students as part of their "basic" education.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 22 2002 - 10:09:17 CDT