Re: 1Z0-020 Oracle8i: New Features for Administrators test

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:07:40 GMT

Pete Sharman wrote:

> No, all that means is that I'm more valuable as an "upgraded OCP" than a
> "non-upgrade OCP"! ;)
>
> Seriously, I'm not sure if that's ever been raised with the certification folks,
> but I tend to think of it this way. Let's say I go for a job as a DBA. If it
> gets raised as an interview question, I can say "yes I'm an OCP, including 7.3,
> 8.0, 8i and 9i" because that's all the exams I've done. Someone else goes for
> the same job and they say "yes I'm a 9i OCP". That SHOULD be a pointer at least
> to the interviewers that I'm more experienced with Oracle than the person who's
> only done the 9i certification, yes?

Or at least that is what someone in marketing at Oracle would like us to think.

To me it still means you spent a lot of money on exams and I wouldn't have a clue whether you could use vi, debug a stored procedure, or had ever done a thing with the actual product other than learn to spell the company name. And that is the tragedy of the OCP.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 22 2002 - 10:07:40 CDT