Re: What's in a Rollback Segment?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:00:55 +1000

Hi Ricky (cool name :)

I think Howard was trying to provide the "simplified" answer and not get too deep into all this undo stuff (this is good, when he gets on a roll, there's no stopping him !! :)

You're of course right in your description. One thing I've noted having taught this stuff for years is how many don't understand the importance of tracking the changes that Oracle makes to the data/index block headers (such as the transaction slots etc.). The ability for Oracle to perform consistent reads on blocks that have had multiple changes (and peel back the "undo onion" as I call it) is dependent on all this other information being stored in the undo segments.

There's a fair bit to these mammas.

Regards

Richard