Re: Oracle Linux Cluster File System

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2002 20:46:26 -0700

In article <aheeq1$eta$00$1_at_news.t-online.com>, "Norbert says...

>Sorry Pete. Miss-spelled one-off. I tried to say I had to create 8
>tablespaces only once, 3 tablespaces per node (2x redo, 1x undo). That's why
>I thought I'll need 14. And TEMP is per node too?! Would change the sum to 7
>+ 2*4 = 15...
>
>Norbert

Ah hah! Now I understand what you meant. You confused me by throwing in the term tablespace when you mean redo logs. Redo logs and control files are not tablespaces. Tablespaces are logical structures that are represented on disk by datafiles. So going back to your original file listing, the datafiles that are shared between nodes are for these tablespaces:

system (10GB)
indx (50GB)
user (50GB)
tools (10GB)

You can also have these set up per node if you want to:

temp_nodeX (10GB)
undo_nodeX (10GB)

So you may end up with 8 tablespaces, and however many redo logs and control files you want, based on your requirements from both an availability perspective and a performance perspective for the redo logs.

Pete

>"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> In article <ahbcfv$lhj$03$1_at_news.t-online.com>, "Norbert says...
>> >
>> >Pete,

>> >Oh, I'm sorry about that! Let me explain.
>> >
>> >Fundamental Breakdown: Let's not discuss about the suggested sizes.
>> >
>> >Second point: mknod does not create a tablespace, it creates a special
>file.
>> >raw does not create a tablespace, it binds a raw device to block devices.
>> >So, I did not want to create physical files for every node.
>> >
>> >Before going any further: Let's say I issue the fdisk command on one node
>> >only (which I intended to do anyway).
>> >
>> >I really would like to get some comments on my scriptlets. Or at least
>not
>> >only a RTFM
>> >suggestion without a URL.
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> >Norbert
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> Somebody else already responded on that posting for it, and since I'm not
>a deep
>> Linux expert I didn't have anything to add of value to that. The
>fundamental
>> comment I was making (apart from the sizes which are still crazy) was to
>your
>> statement in the original posting:
>>
>> "that's 8 tablespaces on-off, 3 per node, 2 nodes make 6+8 = 14
>tablespaces,
>> size = 160 GB + 2 * 3 * 10 GB = 220 GB)"
>>
>> I can't understand what you're saying here. What do you mean by 8
>tablespaces
>> on-off? Tablespaces aren't per node except the UNDO and TEMP tablespaces
>(and
>> even there they are per instance not per node), so the 3 per node doesn't
>make
>> any sense, and then the math totally throws me. Can you explain what you
>mean
>> by this part?
>>
>> Pete
>> >

>> >"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>> >then:

>> >tablespaces,

>> >your
>chunks
>> >of 10
>files,
>> >and
>of
>> >PL/SQL
>other
>> >files
>> >never seen

>> >node,
>> >tablespace

>and
>> >RAC
>understanding
>> >here.

>for

>company_requirements;

>:)

>> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

> [...]

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sun Jul 21 2002 - 22:46:26 CDT