Re: Help insert with a select using a DB Link - ORA-03106: fatal two-task communication protocol error

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 15:03:58 +0100

"Don" <annon_at_someaddress.com> wrote in message news:qr5hju83glec70fg2hempubuto3engfn8o_at_4ax.com...
> I agree this is not the ideal situation. Unfortunalty this is a
> governement project so sanity does not apply.
>
> We cannot get access to the source server (server A) for political
> reasons.
>
> Another group created the views of server A on Server B. The people
> at A know that we use them but for some reason will not give us direct
> access.
>
> For politcal reasons we cannot directly access Server B from our
> unsecure facility. We set up a server (server C) in a secure
> environment and created views based on the views of server B.
>
> Now, from our server D in the unsecured office we can link to server
> C. C links to B and B to A.
>
> Everyone knows whats going on. No one is being decieved. This is the
> kind of shit I have to put up with. I'll never understand how the
> government works but I know technical people are not allowed input in
> these decision. The decision are made by some of the stupidest people
> I have ever meet.

Others have given you some technical advice. I'd say to the people who commissioned the project. 'This is not possible without either the following permissions on database A, or a change in business process so that the folk who enter data to server A also enter it to my server".

I know you say that no-one is being decieved but the fact of the matter is that you *are* accessing data from server A (and maybe B). Either this is allowed or it isn't (you've discovered a security hole). If it is allowed then direct access should be allowed. if it isn't the business has to find some other way of getting you the data.

P.S. I'd also be willing to bet that the folk making the decisions are not stupid, but merely non technical. Marketing, Management and Accounting are all disciplines that attract bright able people - they just think differently. If they pick up that you think they are stupid though you could be in big trouble.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA