Re: Clone/Migration database from Sun Solaris to AIX

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 11:17:55 +0200

See the Oracle Utilities Guide, Chapter 1 - Export, paragraph "Export modes". There is a table that clearly lists all objects exported and imported in each mode. When I look at it, I get the impression it is done in that order too.

In short. Before import the database must be created. It's name and sid can be different.
Make sure the SYSTEM tablespace is created at least as large as the used space in the source database.
Tablespaces do not need to be created in advance because they are in the dump file.
Any tablespace that does not exist will be created by import, exactly as they exist in the source database. So same file names, sizes, default storage will be used. If that's not possible errors will occur. Best is to create tablespace in advance so you correct wrong choosen naming, size, create it with less or more datafiles etc. Users will be created by import also except those that exist already.

(Sorry for the late reply, I was away on holiday)

Vance Wu <vwu_at_anacomp.com> schreef in berichtnieuws c3d4638a.0207120913.7554a950_at_posting.google.com...

| > As stated by others: different platform so copy files is not possible.
The
| > Oracle solution is full export - full import.
| > Don't know the size of the database but for big databases problems can
occur
| > with the size of the dump file.
| > The parameter filesize can solve this problem.
| >
| > I choose for another solution. I have build a script that does export
and
| > import in one stream using a fifo pipe. It runs on the machine where the
new
| > database is created empty. I create the pipe, start full export (with
| > consistent=yes) on the remote source database to the pipe file in the
| > background and then start a full import to the local target database
(file
| > is the same pipe file).
| >
| > Pre-create the new database with only the system tablespace if datafile
| > names do not change. Full import will recreate the tablespaces then.
| > Pre-create all tablespaces when file names can't be the same.
| > Install required options as SYS too in advance.
| >
| > After import check differences in objects owned by sys and priviliges
| > granted to others on SYS objects because the SYS schema is not included
in
| > any export.
| >
| > Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
| > 92eeeff0.0207092057.6721a9b5_at_posting.google.com...
| > | vwu_at_anacomp.com (Vance Wu) wrote in message

AIX
| > |
| > | The easiest way is to take existing datafiles and recreate the control
| > | files. *BUT* since you are changing platforms...That is out of the
| > | question. Anything other then Exp/Imp (In my opinion) would amount to
| > | using a hammer to do a screw driver's job.
| > |

| > |
| > | This should be left to your best judgment. -:)

Oracle
| > |
| > | Your best and perhaps the easiest bet is to do a FULL Export and
| > | Import.
| > |

| > |