Re: Restricting user's resource access

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 18:18:32 +1000

Hi Pete,

No, I think this could be very useful. This restriction kicks in "immediately" in that it will prevent an expensive SQL from executing, regardless of current CPU usage. This means you can proactively prevent expensive code that could hurt your CPU performance from ever running.

It might not be exactly what Red was after but it might be worth investigating.

Cheers

Richard
"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:ah9dkk01lk4_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <9AMZ8.38293$Hj3.115369_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "Richard
says...

> >Hi Red,
> >
> >Your question has been answered quite validly by other posters. However,
> >depending on *why* you want to limit someone's resources, you may want to
> >check out the Database Resource Manager. Particular now with 9i where
such
> >queries can be prevented from executing in the first place with the new
> >MAX_ESTIMATED_EXEC_TIME limit (whereas with profiles, resources are
> >potentially wasted in executing parts of such queries).
> >
> >Might be worth investigating (check out the Administrator's Guide which
> >explains it all).
> >
> >Good Luck
> >
> >Richard
>
> Only problem with that idea is that from what I understand the Resource
Manager