Re: Oracle Linux Cluster File System

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 20 Jul 2002 21:37:40 -0700

In article <ahbcfv$lhj$03$1_at_news.t-online.com>, "Norbert says...

>Pete,
>
>> as I suspect there's a fundamental lack of understanding here
>
>Oh, I'm sorry about that! Let me explain.
>
>Fundamental Breakdown: Let's not discuss about the suggested sizes.
>
>Second point: mknod does not create a tablespace, it creates a special file.
>raw does not create a tablespace, it binds a raw device to block devices.
>So, I did not want to create physical files for every node.
>
>Before going any further: Let's say I issue the fdisk command on one node
>only (which I intended to do anyway).
>
>I really would like to get some comments on my scriptlets. Or at least not
>only a RTFM
>suggestion without a URL.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Norbert

Norbert

Somebody else already responded on that posting for it, and since I'm not a deep Linux expert I didn't have anything to add of value to that. The fundamental comment I was making (apart from the sizes which are still crazy) was to your statement in the original posting:

"that's 8 tablespaces on-off, 3 per node, 2 nodes make 6+8 = 14 tablespaces, size = 160 GB + 2 * 3 * 10 GB = 220 GB)"

I can't understand what you're saying here. What do you mean by 8 tablespaces on-off? Tablespaces aren't per node except the UNDO and TEMP tablespaces (and even there they are per instance not per node), so the 3 per node doesn't make any sense, and then the math totally throws me. Can you explain what you mean by this part?

Pete

> [...]
>> >
>> >The following tablespaces are needed:
>> >
>> >system (10GB)
>> >indx (50GB)
>> >temp (10GB)
>> >user (50GB)
>> >tools (10GB)
>> >undo_nodeX (10GB)
>> >control1 (10GB)
>> >control2 (10GB)
>> >control3 (10GB)
>> >redo1_nodeX (10GB)
>> >redo2_nodeX (10GB)
>> >
>> >(that's 8 tablespaces on-off, 3 per node, 2 nodes make 6+8 = 14
>tablespaces,
>> >size = 160 GB + 2 * 3 * 10 GB = 220 GB)
>>
>> OK, fundamental breakdown in understanding right here. For one thing,
>your
>> files are ridiculously large. Why are you setting up everything in chunks
>of 10
>> Gb? 10 gig is far, far too large for any control files or redo log files,
>and
>> unless you have a ginormous database with literally trillions of lines of
>PL/SQL
>> code you won't need a 10 gig SYSTEM tablespace either. Likewise the other
>files
>> are for tablespaces that are used generally in demo systems, and I've
>never seen
>> a demo database 190 Gb in size! :)
>>
>> Second point, in RAC the datafiles are shared i.e. accessible from each
>node,
>> but there's only one copy of each file e.g. you don't have a SYSTEM
>tablespace
>> on each node, unless you have multiple databases.
>>
>> Before you go any further, I strongly suggest you read both the Oracle and
>RAC
>> Concepts manuals, as I suspect there's a fundamental lack of understanding
>here.
>>
>> Pete
>> >
>> >I would do it like:
>> >
>> >on node1:
>> >
>> >fdisk /dev/sda
>> >
>> >create first 4 partitions primary
>> >then one big extended
>> >then therein 14-4 logical partitions
>> >
>> >(this creates devices /dev/sda1 ... /dev/sda14
>> >
>> >on every node:
>> >
>> >create special files for every tablespace
>> >
>> >mknod /dev/system.dbf c 162 1
>> >
>> >bind the block device to the raw device
>> >
>> >e.g.:
>> >
>> >raw /dev/system.dbf /dev/sda/sda1
>> >
>> >instead, write the config file (suse, package rawio)
>> >
>> >system.dbf:sda1
>> >indx.dbf:sda2
>> >
>> >edit /etc/rc.config
>> >
>> >ACTIVATE_RAW_DEV=yes
>> >

>> >chown oracle /dev/system.dbf
>> >
>> >etc.
>> >

>> >Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> >Norbert
>> >

>> >"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>> >linux this

>> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sat Jul 20 2002 - 23:37:40 CDT