Re: Oracle Linux Cluster File System

From: Norbert Vossiek <skipthis.norbert.vossiek_at_gmx.li>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:57:02 +0200

Pete,

> as I suspect there's a fundamental lack of understanding here

Oh, I'm sorry about that! Let me explain.

Fundamental Breakdown: Let's not discuss about the suggested sizes.

Second point: mknod does not create a tablespace, it creates a special file. raw does not create a tablespace, it binds a raw device to block devices. So, I did not want to create physical files for every node.

Before going any further: Let's say I issue the fdisk command on one node only (which I intended to do anyway).

I really would like to get some comments on my scriptlets. Or at least not only a RTFM
suggestion without a URL.

Thanks in advance,

Norbert

"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ah9d8u01kb1_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <ah8ok2$aro$03$1_at_news.t-online.com>, "Norbert says...
> >
> >Since you mentioned "sales":
> >
> >I would be pleased to get some helping hand with regard to raw devices
then:

> >(see RE: RAC on Linux Cluster, Message-ID:
> ><ah6tgd$spt$04$1_at_news.t-online.com>)
> >
> >Please comment the suggested prodecure (I start with two nodes)
> >
> >The following tablespaces are needed:
> >
> >system (10GB)
> >indx (50GB)
> >temp (10GB)
> >user (50GB)
> >tools (10GB)
> >undo_nodeX (10GB)
> >control1 (10GB)
> >control2 (10GB)
> >control3 (10GB)
> >redo1_nodeX (10GB)
> >redo2_nodeX (10GB)
> >
> >(that's 8 tablespaces on-off, 3 per node, 2 nodes make 6+8 = 14
tablespaces,
> >size = 160 GB + 2 * 3 * 10 GB = 220 GB)
>
> OK, fundamental breakdown in understanding right here. For one thing,
your
> files are ridiculously large. Why are you setting up everything in chunks
of 10
> Gb? 10 gig is far, far too large for any control files or redo log files,
and
> unless you have a ginormous database with literally trillions of lines of
PL/SQL
> code you won't need a 10 gig SYSTEM tablespace either. Likewise the other
files
> are for tablespaces that are used generally in demo systems, and I've
never seen
> a demo database 190 Gb in size! :)
>
> Second point, in RAC the datafiles are shared i.e. accessible from each
node,
> but there's only one copy of each file e.g. you don't have a SYSTEM
tablespace
> on each node, unless you have multiple databases.
>
> Before you go any further, I strongly suggest you read both the Oracle and
RAC