Re: What's in a Rollback Segment?

From: Jeremy Russell <jeremy.russell-NOTMYREALADDRESS_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 08:29:37 GMT

Richard, I thought that the block, once used, was dedicated to that transaction but that multiple transactions can share the same extent in the RBS. The extent remains active whilst *any* of the transactions that wrote to it are still alive - that's the purpose of the "interested transaction list" in the extent header.

Only when all transactions are committed or rolled back can the extent be re-used - until that time, the RBS will extend for further transactions and not wrap around to reuse existing allocated extents.

Am I even close in that understanding?

Jeremy