Re: IMP: still more problems

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 02:31:07 -0400

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:orsgjusm157ask17qv02de9g1h5id7u8sh_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:05:50 -0400, "Chuck" <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message

> >AIX.

> >data
> >3.)
> >the
> >my

EXP/IMP?
> >Am I

> >AIX.
> >>
> >> Millions of people can use it.
> >

> >I used to be one of them - from version 7.0 to 8.1. But I keep finding
more
> >and more problems with a tool that used to work well. As features were
added
> >to the RDBMS, imp/exp just hasn't kept up. Wrong sizes exported for
> >datafiles, grants that are not exported, etc. I would warn anyone who is
> >depending on it as a backup/restore method to reconsider. The most basic
> >function of a backup/restore solution is to backup data and restore it to
> >the same logical state as when it was backed up. EXP/IMP does not do
that -
> >period. Is it any wonder Oracle keeps losing market share?
> >
> Imp was never ment as a backup/restore mechanism, you need to have
> *both* a physical dump and a *logical* one which is exp.
> It looks like you misled yourself for the last 8 years.
> As for your concerns with respect to exp/imp: I would have helped you
> out of it, but you prefer to resort to an unjustified rant. So
> definitely that you can't work with imp is *your* problem.

What is it that whenever someone disagrees with your assessment it's "a rant". Do me a favor. Do not repond to any more of my questions ot posts. I've told you before what I thought of you and every time you open your mouth (or type on your keyboard) you prove all over again what a pompous jerk you are.

While you're at it go back and read your own reply. If exp is a logical backup but doesn't back up all logical aspects of a database just how good of a logical backup is it?

I don't expect you to admit to being wrong though. Your pride is way to big for that.

Good day. Received on Sat Jul 20 2002 - 01:31:07 CDT