Re: Help insert with a select using a DB Link - ORA-03106: fatal two-task communication protocol error

From: Enkidu Utnapishtim <utnapishtim43NOSPAM_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:44:06 GMT

Don,
As a former civil-service DBA with DoD (8 years), I know what you're going thru. I can empathize with you. It is truly a wonder that the gov't can get anything done. However, knowing that doesn't help you solve your problem. By the way, the problem you're having is that Oracle sometimes loses track of where it's supposed to be doing the work when you have so many intermediary dblinks ... or running out of resources on one of the intermediary sites as it's building local temporary tables (at which point it just throws up its hands).

One thing I might offer (though I don't have enuf info to know if it will help in your situation ... not to mention that at that time I was a DBA on Oracle 5/6/7) - when we tried to "gather" data from multiple sites and roll it up to our HQ database, we had a devil of a time getting it to work. After much time spent on the phone to Oracle tech support (well, mostly listening to the elevator music while on hold), they suggested we replace the "INSERT ... SELECT FROM remote(s)" with a "COPY FROM remote ... SELECT ... FROM remote(s)" statement (don't recall the exact syntax). We didn't think it would help (after all, the goal in life for the COPY command is to copy stuff from a non-Oracle database). But there must be something in the COPY command that doesn't stumble over requests like the INSERT statement does.

Of course, from the info you gave, it might not be a viable solution for you. However, when faced with absolute "deliverables" from the gov't, you might be able to jury-rig something.

HTH,
Roger Crowley - DBA - LearningFramework