Re: Help! Canceling an Oracle query thorugh ADO takes almost as long to run as the query itself.

From: John Boe <nospam_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:45:38 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D383A0F.CAD6B5DD_at_exesolutions.com...

> ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION
> or, if it was available back in the paleolithic period orakill
> or, as a last resort, if Oracle is on a UNIX box kill -9
>
> Use of ALTER SYSTEM will likely require that the DBA write a stored
procedure
> exposing this single functionality of ALTER SYSTEM to your program as
likely
> they will not let you have direct access to ALTER SYSTEM.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into this.

> I am fascinated though ... why would anyone be developing against software
that
> is unsupported and is only behind the current release by 10 releases?

It costs millions of dollars to upgrade the database and the front-end applications. The Oracle database I am connecting to has 12,000 tables and views, in hundreds of schemas, and is used by dozens of front-end applications such as Oracle Financials. Next year's budget should allow our IT department to upgrade the database. Received on Fri Jul 19 2002 - 17:45:38 CDT