Re: IMP: still more problems

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:27:03 +0100

"Chuck" <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote in message news:ah9nug$rb5fg$1_at_ID-85580.news.dfncis.de...
> I used to be one of them - from version 7.0 to 8.1. But I keep finding
more
> and more problems with a tool that used to work well. As features were
added
> to the RDBMS, imp/exp just hasn't kept up. Wrong sizes exported for
> datafiles, grants that are not exported, etc. I would warn anyone who is
> depending on it as a backup/restore method to reconsider. The most basic
> function of a backup/restore solution is to backup data and restore it to
> the same logical state as when it was backed up. EXP/IMP does not do
that -
> period.

Oh but it does.

I can't comment on the grants not exported issue that you have other than to say grants=y is supposed to do this. However exp/imp does exactly the *logical* state of the db.Datafile sizes of course have nothing to do with this. Thats a *physical* backup for which one needs backup techniques.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA