Re: External Procedures: Embedded SQL and OCI callbacks both possible?

From: Stewart Houck <shouck_at_pnm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:17:56 GMT

The requirement is for a stored procedure which returns the same mailing address as is sent out on a customer's bill. The mailing address on a customers bill is retrieved by a pretty complicated Pro*C routine. If at all possible we would like to avoid duplicating this code, so I am investigating the possibility of calling the existing code via an external procedure. Thus the need to call embedded SQL from the external procedure. (The external procedure will actually call the existing address procedure which uses embedded SQL).

The need for the OCI callback stems from the desire to pass an object as a parameter to the external procedure. This is desired because otherwise I would have to pass over 90 parameters to the external routine. This is new territory for me, but all the examples I have seen show VARCHAR2s in the PL/SQL passed as OCIString pointers into the C routine. The OCIString variables are then set with OCI routines which require(?) the context returned by OCIExtProcGetEnv.

That said, they are only needs in the sense that I need to explore the feasibility of this approach. I truly do appreciate your learned opinion.