Re: External Procedures: Embedded SQL and OCI callbacks both possible?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:22:06 +0200

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:28:44 GMT, "Stewart Houck" <shouck_at_pnm.com> wrote:

>Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition 8.1.7.3
>
>I have the need in an external procedure (Pro*C) to both call a procedure
>containing embedded SQL and to also use an OCI callback. I can successfully
>do one or the other, but not both. It seems that the problem has to do with
>the contexts they both need (though I'm not sure). The following statements
>are at the beginning of the routine to set the contexts:
>
> status = OCIExtProcGetEnv(ctx, &envh, &svch, &errh);
> EXEC SQL register CONNECT USING :ctx;
>
>With the above statements, I receive an ORA-1012 (not logged on) error when
>the SQL is executed. If I reverse the order, I get an ORA-03114 (not
>connected to oracle) and then ORA-03113 (end-of-file on communication
>channel), and I seem to lose the connection to the extproc.
>
>Is it possible to use both Embedded SQL and OCI callbacks in one call to an
>external procedure? If so, how is it done.
>
>Thanks

Please explain why you have this 'need'
I can not imagine why anyone already running sql or pl/sql would call an external procedure to connect to the database again. That is definitely a waste of resources and looks like a not well thought out architecture.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Jul 19 2002 - 15:22:06 CDT