Re: IMP: still more problems

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:05:50 -0400

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:tskgjusrf6nusjhskojhoq2057mj0em6c8_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:34:57 -0400, "Chuck" <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I am encountering even *more* problems with the 8.1.7 import utility on
AIX.
> >Am I doing something wrong or is this utility just a piece of cr*p?
> >
> >Latest issue. I am trying to use a norows full export to create indexes,
> >primary keys, constraints, grants etc. on a database that I copied from
> >another platform using CTAS on every table. (I used CTAS to load the
data
> >because import was too slow. It took 70+ hours whereas CTAS took about
3.)
> >The create index and alter statements are in the export file to create
the
> >unique indexes for the PKs, then alter them to PK constraints. I can grep
> >them out of the file with no problem. The import however never even tries
> >apply them. There are no errors in the log file indicating that it failed
> >apply them for any reason. It just ignores them. It also ignores all of
my
> >FK constraints.
> >
> >Before I open a tar with oracle, is this expected behavior for EXP/IMP?
Am I
> >forgetting something?
> >
> >Here is the command I am using to run the export and the import. The last
> >line of the export log file says it finished with no warnings.
> >
> >exp user/pass file=norows full=y rows=n log=norows_export.log
> >imp user/pass file=norows full=y log=norows_import.log
> >

> >I am encountering even *more* problems with the 8.1.7 import utility on
AIX.
> >Am I doing something wrong or is this utility just a piece of cr*p?
>
> Millions of people can use it.

I used to be one of them - from version 7.0 to 8.1. But I keep finding more and more problems with a tool that used to work well. As features were added to the RDBMS, imp/exp just hasn't kept up. Wrong sizes exported for datafiles, grants that are not exported, etc. I would warn anyone who is depending on it as a backup/restore method to reconsider. The most basic function of a backup/restore solution is to backup data and restore it to the same logical state as when it was backed up. EXP/IMP does not do that - period. Is it any wonder Oracle keeps losing market share? Received on Fri Jul 19 2002 - 14:05:50 CDT