Execution Plan Tuning - A cautionary tale

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:04:55 +0100

Ok, here's my assumption that went oh so horribly wrong !

First Monday as junior dba (no training, no OCP, no idea, no brain !) but the guy who was the dba before me had given me instructions to
'remove a datafile' because the tablespace it was attached to was no
longer in use, had been deleted and so I could reclaim the disc space. (Hands up all those who know the punchline already ?)

So, I logon the the server, check the free disc space, rm the file, and check disc space again - no change !
Hmm. We need the disc space to extend another tablespace, but it won't give it back.
Someone with a bit of Oracle know how mentions that you may have to shutdown and restart the database to get the space freed up. So I do this at 14:00 (ish) and lo, the database will not start because there is a missing file - Aaargh !

Bloody dba before me, who left the company last Friday hadn't dropped the tablespace at all.

Took me until 02:00 the following morning to get the system back up and running - it wasn't in archivelog mode - and it was our company's only
'production' database. In fact, it was the one which has all of our
source code on. Boy was I popular ! In the end it was ok because the tablespace was due to be dropped and had been emptied by dropping the user, however, it did cause me a couple of nightmares. Nice first day in the new job though !

Cheers,
Norman.

PS. Now I'm paranoid instead !