Re: Binary Editor

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2002 21:36:05 -0500

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:

> Sounds suspiciously Unix.

Yeah, I know, you are a total windows guy.

> I realise they both support XP and other Windows variants

Yeppers.

> , but honestly.... us Windows kiddies are just not up for such
> complexity at this stage in our retarded development lifecycles.

Well, seeing how well you handle the complexities of Oracle, it is just a matter of choice on where you spend your time.

> But thanks for the suggestions, anyway.

Its actually not nearly as bad as some people think (The GNU crew has been at it for a few decades now). Has an extensive set of menus. Has a windows keystroke emulation mode so any/all of your windows keystrokes are the same in both places.

But, more to the point, it runs sqlplus within emacs. With a little bit of time, that would become the only place you would do your SQL work. Do however much you want with it, but I suggest trying that mode out. I'd be happy to pass along as much of my stuff as you can bear. Like, a staple abbreviation.

sc[space] expands to "select count(*) from "

OR

scg[space] prompts me twice;
1) "Table Selected From"
2) "Fields selected"
Then I get a sql query like:

    select "Fields selected", count(*)
    from "Table Selected From"
    group by "Fields selected"

OR

xf[space] expands to "explain plan for " x[space] expands to "@explain"
xfg[space] expands to "explain plan set statement_id = 'GBOYERSPLAN' into plan_table for " xg[space] expands to "@explain_galen"

That's just abbreviations. History, searching output, jumping to and from different prompts (This is actually probably one of the best things about it. I can hop between my sqlplus prompts within the current sqlplus session by typing C-c C-n and C-c C-p), ...

And, then you get binary editing when you need it. :-)

Later.

--
Galen deForest Boyer