Re: Question about Archivemode

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 02:36:53 GMT

They can do as much damage as the rights of the account they login as. On a Unix box if they can get a login as root then they can format the drive and make life very difficult. On NT if they get an administrator account they can format the drive. In Oracle they can drop tables, tablespaces etc. You could recover from those if you have good backups. If you don't then you are SOL. I would worry about, as someone else pointed out, more subtle things like changing data - something that might not get noticed or not noticed for a long time. The system still works, but the contents are wrong.

Destroying the database may not be the worst thing. Consider an airline. What system would probably be most hurt by hacking - hurt so badly that customers might never fly the airline again. Not the reservation or payroll systems. The system that holds the flight numbers, and types of planes and weights, and cargo placement. Imagine someone said the plane was a 747 instead of a 757. Much different flight requirements. (cargo placement etc.)
Jim

"Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:i3oZ8.92813$%%2.3991029_at_news2.east.cox.net...
> if someone logs in as outln or dbsnmp for example...
>
> could they drop or delete one thing with one command to disable a database
> that is not in archivelog mode and is only doing nightly tape back ups?
>

> "Liggs" <liggs_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > The worstest of the worse would be to introduce some subtle corruption
> into
> > the datafiles such that
> > the effect/detection was not immediate. Binary editing datafiles etc.
or
> > using some DBMS package
> > that could do it for you. So somewhere down the line
(days/weeks/months)