Re: Oracle 8i or 9i vs SQL Server

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 18 Jul 2002 17:17:46 -0700

lancegrieb_at_yahoo.com (TX-DBA) wrote in message news:<a95941b3.0207180804.2b195ae7_at_posting.google.com>...

> Oracle database/Instance = SQL Server installation
> Oracle Schema/Users = SQL Server databases
> Oracle Tablespaces = SQL Segments

Akshally, 2 above is not entirely correct. A SS2K "database" involves its own log file and database files. Ie, MOL what we traditionally (and wrongly) call an "instance" in Oracle.

I've learned in the last few weeks a little bit about SS2K. It's been very educational. Don't agree with most of the stuff that M$ does in terms of recovery, dictionary (that master database idea must be one of the most deranged concepts ever!), distributed, federated, etcetc.
But there is stuff in SS2K that is quite neat. Not much, but there is. Credit where credit is due: if pushed, I'd rather use SS2K in NT than UDB. That's for sure.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au Received on Thu Jul 18 2002 - 19:17:46 CDT