Re: Database Design nightmares...

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2002 14:39:36 -0700

Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<3d36bcdd$0$16942$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> In article <3d358213.1273624344_at_news.globix.com>, you said (and I quote):
>
> > It is assumed that (bad) Database Design could be the worst bottleneck
> > in database performace. Curious in kinds of 'really bad' designs
> > people have encountered and what hardships they had to go though to
> > modify the schema or work around it to accomodate a customer.
>
> There are so many I don't even know where to start.

Nuno lists fairly mild examples...

The worst cases I saw usually combined 2 features:

  1. Complete lack of understanding of relational databases. From here follows:
  2. Complete denormalization of data. Including such triffles as using the same column for different goals, making one column containing concatenated values, i.e. not following even 1NF rules. Also software which assumed some order in the tables. People were REALLY surprised when they didn't get results in that order.