Re: Passing a PL/SQL record to an external routine?

From: julio <julio33_at_whomail.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2002 12:48:12 -0500

In article <e3a66a5.0207180857.44c2e160_at_posting.google.com>, shouck_at_pnm.com (Stewart) wrote:
>I am currently calling external routines from PL/SQL. I am faced with
>a situation where it would be convenient to pass a PL/SQL record to an
>external routine. The documentation we have says it can't be done, but
>it also says you can't pass collections - and this CAN apparently be
>done. So I've come to the experts...
>
>Is it possible to pass a PL/SQL record (reference) to an external
>routine (language C)? If so, how?
>
>Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition 8.1.7.3

From Tom Kyte, the guru of gurus:

PL/SQL Records can only be passed to other pl/sql routines. There are no bindings from any 3gl to plsql records.

Can you use cursor variables? Instead of filling up a table of records with the result of a query, can you just open a cursor variable and return the result set to the client? that way you get your 'table of records'

Julio and Colin and Lyse

See my babies at

http://www.geocities.com/colin_and_lyse/colin_lyse.html Received on Thu Jul 18 2002 - 12:48:12 CDT