Re: index use

From: Herman de Boer <h.de.boer_at_itcg.nl>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:41:27 GMT

Tuning wrote:

>I re-built the VIL_OF_SAL_FK in bitmap, re-analyze, and now it's seams to be
>good
>(at least as I expected it would be!) : cost in explain plan for the first
>query fell to 160!!
>I didn't understand why this changed, but I keep searching...
>
>Thanks againnnn ;-)

DML operations on bitmap indexes are HEAVY (as compared to btree index maintenance), and lead easily to very fragmented space usage.

Drop me an email if you're interested in a representation of the oracle block-structure of a bitmap index.

Kind Regards,

Herman de Boer
sr consultant
IT Consultancy Group bv Received on Thu Jul 18 2002 - 08:41:27 CDT