Problem installing Oracle 9i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 18 Jul 2002 05:24:06 -0700

a.j.van.rooijen_at_bluevision.nl (Joshua) wrote in message news:<30a9426a.0207172253.3c901c24_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi Sybrand,
>
> Did you succeed in analyzing the trace files i send you?
> What i found was that in another logfile, the message "invalid name
> for service" "ora_icache " appeared. The space there was illegal. I
> didn't have the time to check this further, i will do that friday.
> I'll let you know any results.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joshua

Joshua,

the tnsnames.ora was basically a mess. Redundant spaces everywhere. Hence it was not connecting to the service you think it was connecting, and it was using the local BEQueath protocol everywhere resulting in ORA-12638 authentication errors to show up. I have been trying to edit the tnsnames.ora in an attempt to reproduce the problem on my own machine (just upgraded to 9i). Unfortunately -probably due to lack of memory- my listener doesn't start.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Jul 18 2002 - 07:24:06 CDT