Re: Oracle 9i Problems on a Redhat 7.1 System

From: christine <member_at_dbforums.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2002 07:16:47 GMT

Hi,

I know that your message is very old, but i reply to you because maybe there's another person - like me - who scanns the internet for some information about the problem you described.

I had the same problem. After installing successfully oracle 9i on redhat7.2 the database was up and running. Then i did all the configurations to get my database running at the systemstart in case of reboot. The "shutdown" worked (from an sqlplus-prompt) but when i wanted to " startup" i got the message :

ORA-12709: error while loading create database character set

Because i did not yet find an explanation for the problem in the internet - only the hint "call your oracle - supportteam" from the side www.oracle.com (very helpful - thanks to oracle - ph ! ) I started to search on my linuxsystem again.

I found the reason for this is: controle the environment-variables of user oracle !!!! There must be a
ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data in the /home/oracle/.bash_profile !!! Maybe the system can't resolve the $ORACLE_HOME or the path is wrong ! Then try to alter it and set the fullpath into the environment-variable and don't forget to "export" it ( export ORA_NLS33 ) Then log out and log in as oracle again. enter -> sqlplus /nolog then -> connect sys as sysdba then -> shutdown (you first have to do a shutdown, because the database is in a "half started" status !) then disconnect from sqlplus, wait a while . (When i didn't disconnect i had problems sometime. Therefore i recommend to disconnect) Connect to sqlplus again (as described above) and enter a "startup" ! I'm sure it will work then !

Hope this will be helpfully to others ! Have a nice day !

--
an oracle fan,
an oracle beginner