Re: Binary Editor

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:07:08 +1000

On second thoughts, I think I should be clearer on the required specifications!

I currently use something called eHex (at www.etree.com), which does fine for poking inside a control file and the occasional archive. But it throws a wobbly trying to load a 20Mb datafile -which I don't consider excessive in size, and thus don't think acceptable.

So I was after a hex editor that could cope with binary files in the 10 to 50Mb range. Preferably with nice 'file-open' dialogues and a lovely Windows interface!!

From my trips to the web, I'm beginning to get the feeling that there is no such beast, but I'd like to be proved very, very wrong (yeah, I know I could dump datafiles, but I don't want to if I can help it).

Regards
HJR "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:ah5ko3$elu$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for the tip. But not *exactly* what I was after.... naff DOS
> interface, only uses 640K of conventional memory, has trouble opening a
5Mb
> datafile, etc etc etc.
>
> So, yup.. I need a tool "like" BEdit, but which most definitely isn't
BEdit!