Re: Question about Archivemode

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:56:25 +1000

"Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:FcoZ8.92818$%%2.3993604_at_news2.east.cox.net...

[Snip]

> What if your using a nightly DOS shell script to shutdown the database and
> copy it to a tape. It is not in archivelog mode. Nothing is mirrored.
There
> is one hard drive.
>
> If I have to restore the database, will I be able to simple get the
> datafiles, control files etc... from the tape backup and place them into
my
> oracle home, then do an instance recovery?

You won't need to do any form of recovery at all. You're doing cold backups, right? That means (I hope) you shut down your database each night with a 'shutdown immediate'. Therefore the backup is entirely consistent and needs no recovery. You just copy everything off the tape, and say 'startup'.

> Is there a one line command of somethign you can drop or delete that will
> make a database unusuable until you perform a cold backup assuming the
above
> scenario?

Nope. Not permanently. But (and you really need to pin down the words you use more carefully) if you are now talking about 'disabling' a database, and making it unuseable *until you can recover it* then, yes, there are lots of commands I can think of.

Drop table sales;
drop tablespace IMPORTANT_DATA including contents cascade constraints; drop user system cascade;

And all those should only need DBA privileges.

The real fun starts with

connect / as sysdba
delete from table obj$;
commit;

But even a humble user with routine privileges can 'disable' a database:

update customers set balance_owed=5090;
commit;

Not much use having a database that reports outstanding accounts at completely the wrong value.

Instead of asking the same question with key words casually re-phrased from 'destroy' to 'disable' to 'unuseable', why don't you tell us what this debate you're having is, and what the context of that debate is? Then perhaps we can all chip in with some advice.

Regards
HJR