Re: ANALYZE_DATABASE - Query ...

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 20:23:06 +0100

"Telemachus" <telemachus_at_ulysseswillreturn.net> wrote in message news:u%eZ8.2786$zX3.2308_at_news.indigo.ie...
> The following text puzzled me .
>

> it's 9.2 supplied package reference DBMS_UTILITY section
>

> ANALYZE_DATABASE Procedure
>
> This procedure runs the ANALYZE command on all the tables, clusters, and
>
> in a database. Use this procedure to collect nonoptimizer statistics. For
> optimizer
>
> statistics, use the DBMS_STATS.GATHER_DATABASE_STATS procedure.
>

> Q : What's a nonoptimizer statistic ?

Sorry, I don't know the answer, and in my newsreader this seems to be the only post in his thread, but the word ALL worries me, and I'd be inclined to avoid DBMS_UTILITY.ANALYZE_DATABASE, ,just in case it tried to do stats on the DD, which IMHO would be a recipe for disaster.

IIRC, we are, as you mention, recommended to use DBMS_STATS.

Hope this helps,
Paul Received on Wed Jul 17 2002 - 14:23:06 CDT