Re: Question about Archivemode

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:52:15 +1000

"Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:TYmZ8.92772$%%2.3973511_at_news2.east.cox.net...
> If Im a hacker and I log into someones DB, what is the quickest way to
make
> it unuseable? Lets say you have an account with DBA access? I mean the
whole
> database with many tablespaces? IS there one thing you can destroy?
>
> Im trying to convince some co-workers of how easy it would be.

Well, I'm not sure that this is entirely appropriate advice, so I'll preface it by saying that it is practically impossible to destroy an Oracle database, unless you have an early and unpatched release of Oracle 9i (!).

So if the only access to the system you've got is a DBA logon, then you can't "destroy" the database. But you can make life hard for the DBA by doing something as simple as dropping a tablespace. That's a nasty one to reccover from, because it involves restoring the controlfile, too. But it's still recoverable, eventually.

Dropping an important table would be a pain, too, and since it would involve an incomplete recovery, that would definitely result in the loss of some committed data. But again, that's not really "destroying" a database, is it?

If you could log on with *SYS*DBA privileges, things are a bit different. Nothing to stop SYS doing a 'delete from obj$', for example. And since that table stores details of every other object in the database, that's rather nasty. Again, recoverable with an incomplete recovery, provided you're in archivelog mode.

If you're not in archivelog mode, then any and all of the above suggestions would necessitate the restoration of your last cold backup, and potentially large quantities of data would be lost. If you're in archivelog mode, any and all of the above can be recovered from with much less data loss.

Of course, a true hacker would want O/S access, so as to be able to do any of the above, and then delete all prior backups and archives. Then you're in trouble.

But this isn't really saying anything more than 'if your security is non-existent, of course damage can be done'. With just routine DBA privileges, you can cause a great deal of inconvenience, and maybe some data loss, but you can't "destroy" a database.

Regards
HJR