Re: er, 'interesting' new 9i feature

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:22:23 -0600

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> True. I kinda meant, when one does the removal of 'no', one usually
> remembers to add the word 'resetlogs' lower down in the script too... like
> vegemite and toast, you wouldn't have the one without the other, and I'd
> sort of expect anyone doing a resetlogs to know that. But fair enough, it
> *is* more than just two letters.

Yeah - I think the big difference is the 'using backup controlfile' which, if you accidentally used it after having carefully created your controlfile NORESETLOGS, will force you to open resetlogs nonetheless. Might be really bad if you've got stuff in the online redos that's important. So there seems to be a method to the madness.

> And that was going to be my next comment! (Beat me to the punch!).
> Exactly.... I dislike an immensely important script throwing up errors for
> no good reason at a critical time (ie, just when you're trying to recover
> all your control files).

That's the worst feeling. Horrible. Even if it only lasts a few seconds...

On the other hand, I do really like the "AS" and "REUSE" additions to the new syntax for backup controlfile to trace. Nice to be able to pick the filenames instead of hunting down some CJDZSAZZXX123.trc from the alertlog.

Regards,
Sean Received on Wed Jul 17 2002 - 17:22:23 CDT