Re: er, 'interesting' new 9i feature

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:57:29 -0600

Sorry, one more thing. Just checked the 9i R2 SQL Reference manual, and sure enough, this is expected new functionality. Check out the last sentence in particular:

TO TRACE Specify TO TRACE if you want Oracle to write SQL statements to a trace file rather than making a physical backup of the control file. You can use SQL statements written to the trace file to start up the database, re-create the control file, and recover and open the database appropriately, based on the created control file.

You can copy the statements from the trace file into a script file, edit the statements as necessary, and use the script if all copies of the control file are lost (or to change the size of the control file).

     Specify AS filename if you want Oracle to place the script into a file called filename rather than into the standard trace file.

     Specify REUSE to allow Oracle to overwrite any existing file called filename.

     RESETLOGS indicates that the SQL statement written to the trace file for starting the database is ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS. This setting is valid only if the online logs are unavailable.

     NORESETLOGS indicates that the SQL statement written to the trace file for starting the database is ALTER DATABASE OPEN NORESETLOGS. This setting is valid only if all the online logs are available.

If you cannot predict the future state of the online logs, specify neither RESETLOGS nor NORESETLOGS. In this case, Oracle puts both versions of the script into the trace file, and you can choose which version is appropriate when the script becomes necessary.

So, that makes sense, I guess.

Regards,
Sean