Re: Oracle packaging with other application

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 20:05:15 GMT

Cathy wrote:

> Our company develop applicaiton software and we ship our application
> with Oracle databaser server together.
>
> With the upgrading of Oracle from 7 to 9i, Oracle grows dramatically.
> As I know Oracle 9i for sun solaris has 3 CDs and minimum installation
> through Oracle installer would more than 2G. But the only components
> we need is just Oracle database. We do not need those java, xml or
> other fancy stuff.
>
> So it is getting more difficult for us to packaging Oracle database
> server with our application because of Oracle's huge size.
>
> I would like to know does anybody have the same situation and how do
> you resolve the issue?
>
> Any comment would be appreciated.
>
> Cathy

First of all, you could install Oracle with the "MINIMUM" setting rather than the full content of all 3 CDs. If you don't need the Apache web server don't install it. If you don't need the myriad files in directories with names like "SAMPLE", "DEMO", "DOCS" either don't install or remove.

9i can pretty easily be taken down to the 1GB level. Less if you invest some effort.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jul 17 2002 - 15:05:15 CDT