Re: Oracle 8i or 9i vs SQL Server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 19:03:12 +0200

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:34:54 +1000, "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I'm currently doing some work for a client who are a MS shop through and
>though (so much so that even their houses have windows). However they've
>just purchased a 3rd party product that only runs on Oracle and have no idea
>how to set it up. That's where I come in.
>
>However, as part of the skills transfer process what would be very handy
>would be to have a comparison between the two products (so I can speak more
>in their speak so to speak). I do have some doco on this (most of it
>marketing oriented), I've seen the Oracle white paper that focuses on
>performance differences and read various bits and pieces but I was wondering
>if any of you clever folk out there might have a doco or link to something
>that nicely summarises the main architectural and feature differences
>between the two.
>
>I *DON'T* want to start another war over this (Oracle is better, no it's not
>SQL Server can do that just as well, rant rant rant). I also appreciate
>they're not exactly apples and apples (and that's probably why I haven't
>found quite what I'm after).
>
>Any help would be muchly appreciated.
>
>Richard

Read the first three chapters of Tom Kyte's book. It contains a comparison of the transaction and the concurrency models of the two systems. This is basically the
readers don't block writers in Oracle vs readers do block writers in Sqlserver

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Jul 17 2002 - 12:03:12 CDT