Re: Directly or via role granted object privileges

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:29:49 +0200

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:08:42 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>I think the big difference is that privileges granted via a role don't work
>if the user involved then runs a package or procedure which tries to work on
>the object.
>
>In other words, I have a procedure X which says 'update scott.emp....'.
>
>You have the ROLE Y, which includes the 'update on scott.emp' privilege.
>
>You run the procedure, it won't work.
>
>I grant you the 'update on scott.emp' privilege directly, you run the
>procedure and now it does work.
>
>Regards
>HJR

So this means, preferably, as best practice, the code should be owned by the owner of the object, or in 8i and higher, created with authid invoker.
In both cases there is no need to muck around with direct grants.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Jul 17 2002 - 00:29:49 CDT