Re: EXPLAIN PLAN : better with RULE!

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 16 Jul 2002 17:29:14 -0700

"Vladimir M. Zakharychev" <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com> wrote in message news:<ah1o8b$bt3$1_at_babylon.agtel.net>...

> Well, that same note states that to Oracle knowledge close to 80% of
> all vendors already made their applications at least CBO-aware (while
> they are not saying those applications are all tuned to make good use
> of CBO.) ;)

The question then begs: which CBO?
The crud that passed for that in V7? The buggy stuff in 8.0, which I curse every single day of my life? The so-so stuff in 8iR3? The much better one in 9i?

Any wonder there has been a "slight" reluctance from many vendors in accepting this "volatility"? Last thing any third party s/w vendor needs is an optimizer that cannot be made to behave reliably and consistently.

For those who may be inclined to not believe this, do a search on Metalink for CBO-related problems and issues. Educational.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au Received on Tue Jul 16 2002 - 19:29:14 CDT