immediate value vs bind variable

From: Syltrem <syltremspammenot_at_videotron.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:11:13 -0400

Hi

I don't know where to start looking in the doc to find the answer / solution to this:

a WHERE TABLE_COLUMN > bind_variable
takes significantly longer than a
WHERE TABLE_COLUMN > 'immediate value'

The TABLE_COLUMN is a CHAR(2)

Whether I declare the bind variable as a char or varchar don't make a difference, it's always longer when using the bind variable. Exapmle: 0.23 seconds (immediate value) compared to 7.67 seconds (bind variable).

Suggestions please!

Thanks

--

Syltrem