Re: Help me tuning this wait event:log file sync

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:21:55 +0100

There is a package on my web site which takes snapshots of various v$ object, much as statspack does, but for near real-time feedback.

One of the procedures it contains handles v$session_event.

Take a session snapshot of (say) a ten minute period and see how significant the "log file sync" is to each session.

Alternatively:

    break on sid skip 1

    select sid, event, time_waited/100
    from v$session_event
    order by sid, time_waited desc

log file sync's are highly exaggerated at the v$system_event level. Your largest problem is an I/O problem - look at the average I/O wait time (on reads and writes). Because you are doing "20 - 40" commits per second, you "log file sync" time looks 20 - 40 times as bad as it really is.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminars