Re: OEM Web-based Console, J-Initiator, and MAC OS X

From: nettdata <nettdata_at_noSpAM_nettdata.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:09:39 GMT

Richard-

It just makes no sense to me. Sure, the DB Installer itself is written in Java, as are other aspects of Oracle's technology stack (why they are still using AWT is beyond me, though). Some of them even work properly on MAC OS X, such as JDeveloper.

Meanwhile, some of the web-based, Java applet consoles, such as Oracle Enterprise Manager, _REQUIRE_ JInitiator to run. Unfortunately, JInitiator is a WIN32-only plug-in for IE or Netscape. This means that while they have written it in Java, they've effectively eliminated the platform independence that Java affords.

While my browsers for OS X (Mozilla, IE 5.2, Netscape) all have JVM's, none of them are recognized or allowed by these consoles.

I was just wondering if anyone had a work-around handy (before I delve into it myself) or if anyone had any information from Oracle regarding timelines for support, etc.

...jeff