Re: Backup Script

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:17:34 GMT

>>. I haven't run this script (a Unix box not being readily to hand), so
> > are you saying he puts the same tablespace in and out of hot backup mode
> for
> > every file it contains?
>
> That is what HE is saying in the documentation in the script. I think that
> this is what he is actually doing as well but I also can't read (much less
> write) unix shell scripts. He does however create a temporary .sql file so
> for debugging purposes he should leave that on the file system and
actually
> take a look at what gets generated.

He IS doing it as described. He loops through all datafiles

while [ $COUNT -le $DATAFILECOUNT ] do

and issues a

BACKUPDATAFILE for every datafile.

In BACKUPDATAFILE he switches backup mode on, copies the file and switches backup mode off again.
He also checks for every datafile if the tablespace it belongs to is read only. Some overhead as described by Niall.

Regards,

Knut Received on Tue Jul 16 2002 - 07:17:34 CDT