Re: Backup Script

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:06:57 +0100

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:ah0oug$bbp$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
> > 1. I would loop through the tablespaces putting them into backup mode
only
> > once and then copy the datafiles, not loop through the datafiles
determine
> > the tablespace and put into and out of backup mode. What happens if you
> have
> > 500 datafiles in one tablespace? (other than management headaches).
> >

> I think that's his problem, actually. I think a great deal of his logic
went
> in to determining all the datafiles for a tablespace so you could copy
them
> all. I haven't run this script (a Unix box not being readily to hand), so
> are you saying he puts the same tablespace in and out of hot backup mode
for
> every file it contains?

That is what HE is saying in the documentation in the script. I think that this is what he is actually doing as well but I also can't read (much less write) unix shell scripts. He does however create a temporary .sql file so for debugging purposes he should leave that on the file system and actually take a look at what gets generated.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA