Re: Backup Script

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:45:50 +0100

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:ah01n8$ala$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
<snip>

> # Then, one datafile at a time, it performs the following logic....

> # Skip if the datafile is TEMPORARY
> # Skip if the datafile is a ROLLBACK segment
> # Set the datafile's tablespace into hot backup mode.
> # Check it is in hot backup mode (using v$backup).
> # Issue a unix level cp (copy).
> # Set the datafile's tablespace out of hot backup mode.
> # Check it is out of hot backup mode (using v$backup).
> # If requested, switch log files.

<snip that funny unix stuff>

I think that I have two issues with the logic - I certainly have one.

  1. I would loop through the tablespaces putting them into backup mode only once and then copy the datafiles, not loop through the datafiles determine the tablespace and put into and out of backup mode. What happens if you have 500 datafiles in one tablespace? (other than management headaches).
  2. What is the reason for skipping rollback segments? I really hope I'm not being stupid here but surely you'd want to back those up as well.
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA