Re: Interest in 9i New Features for Administrators Exam book?

From: Jeremy Smith <alceste_at_xmission.xmission.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 07:45:34 +0000 (UTC)

Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote:

> My question for you is: before I go to the effort of writing the book,
is there > sufficient demand out there to make it worthwhile? It takes a lot of time away > from family life to do this, since it's all done after hours, and I don't want > to waste my time if it's not going to generate enough interest (and of course, > enough revenue for me!).

Pete,

Three comments:
1. I'm not sure how much the interest in that particular title would be for me, but I would in general be interested in an update of the books to a 9i format.

2. I've only bought two test-prep books in my life (I had to get a certification fast to teach a class) but they would be the one type of book I'd be interested in purchasing an "e-version" of, _especially_ if the practice tests could better duplicate (using javascript or the like) the actual test format.

3. That said, even though I spend $2000 dollars a year on technical books, my personal thresholds for paying for online exam-prep books are probably be: (would definitely buy/max price I'd consider)

1 title unlimited ($5/$15)
1 title time constrained ($5/$10)
Multiple titles unlimited ($50/$100)
Multiple titles time constrained ($30/$50)

By multiple titles, I'd mean along the lines of ALL Oracle 8i or 9i prep books--so I could purchase six month or a year's worth of access for the price of two print books, and get some interactive practice tests along with it. I'd also expect that these titles would be printable--at least good html or preferably .pdf or the like. There are a lot of people who can't read online--and several, including myself, who prefer to read hardcopies when available.

Jer Smith Received on Tue Jul 16 2002 - 02:45:34 CDT