ORA-27123: unable to attached to shared memory segment

From: OtisUsenet <otis_usenet_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Jul 2002 14:35:16 -0700

Hello,

I installed Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on Linux (RedHat 7.3), and run into a problem while trying to create my first database via 'dmca'.

This Linux machine has 1 GB RAM.
Shared memory from /proc/sys/kernel/shm*:

    $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shm*
    2097152
    33554432 <-- shmmax
    4096

Here are some DB parameters:

   db_block_size 8192
   db_cache_size 32MB
   db_file_multiblock_read_count 16

   java_pool_size 20971520
   job_queue_processes 10
   large_pool_size 16777216
   open_cursors 300
   pga_aggregate_target 25165824
   processes 150
   shared_pool_size 83886080
   sort_area_size 524288

Here are some more current kernel numbers:

$ ipcs -l

I have tried setting the 'Typical' database via Database Configuration Assistant, but that resulted in the same error.

I have tried setting use_indirect_data_buffer to TRUE, but that gave me a different error (ORA-00385: cannot enable Very Large Memory with new buffer cache parameters).

Has anyone got any ideas why this is failing? I didn't choose any large memory allocations anywhere (I left everything at its default value). Do I still need to increase the number in /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax?

Thanks,
Otis Received on Mon Jul 15 2002 - 16:35:16 CDT