Re: Difference between SID and SERVICE_NAME

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:27:02 GMT

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:34:54 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Time to sack the DBA who didn't suggest Names Server. Honestly! Do you
>really think an installation with "thousands of clients" would use tnsnames?
>
>Changing them would indeed be a nightmare, but then it shouldn't have
>happened in the first place.
>
>HJR

<snip>

Not necessarily a nightmare. If you're dealing with Windows clients and have to ability to force a registry setting on them. Just push out 'tns_admin=\\some_server\some_share_name' and have a TNSNAMES file in the directory indicated by 'some_share_name' Now you have a single TNSNAMES file to maintain no matter how many users.

Opitimal or best practice? Probably not. Are there situations where this is not technically feasable? Sure. But there can be all kinds of non-technical reasons (read: political) to go that route if it is technically feasible. I doubt if there is a person here who hasn't had to support a poor architecture because of non-technical issues. I'd even bet a cold one that most of us are doing it today.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)