Re: Difference between SID and SERVICE_NAME

From: Adrian Carlson-Hedges <adrian.ch_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:12:32 +0000 (UTC)

In message <agufg4$238$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>, Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com> writes

>"Martin Haltmayer" <Martin.Haltmayer_at_d2mail.de> wrote in message
>> Hello Marcel,
>>
>> one reason is using Parallel Server (or RAC). To use Transparent
>Application
>> Failover or Load Balancing you must use service_names (it may work with
>the same
>> SIDs at both cluster nodes but this is advised against).
>>
>> Next reason to keep the old syntax is the need of changing a lot of
>clients'
>> tnsnames.ora files. Imagine a big company having thousands of clients,
>each with
>> one tnsnames.ora accessing three different instances. Changing them may be
>> nightmare.
>>

>Time to sack the DBA who didn't suggest Names Server. Honestly! Do you
>really think an installation with "thousands of clients" would use tnsnames?
>
>Changing them would indeed be a nightmare, but then it shouldn't have
>happened in the first place.
>
>HJR
At which release did Names Server become available?

The reason I ask is because I work for an organisation with thousands of users > 15000, and many hundreds of databases. When I enquired about the existence of a names server, it seemed like I was talking a foreign language. I have since investigated setting up one or more names servers locally for the 300 or so users at my site. Hopefully one(or more) to cope with the half dozen or so databases that I am responsible for, and perhaps another one (or more) to cope with the hundreds of databases contained in the 300k tnsnames.ora file. (Which I am told is maintained by a central group using visual source safe). I can only imagine that this situation was already in place before Names Server became available, and that no one has had the motivation/time/common sense to change it

--
Adrian Carlson-Hedges