Re: Just passed 8i OCP

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:36:53 GMT

Andy wrote:

> I'm considering taking it, I have 9 years as a DBA and so thought that
> with a bit of a brush-up I would pass. However, one look through one
> of the OCP Exam Prep books and I realised that I would have to do a
> fair amount of study because, as you say, the questions seem to be
> aimed towards a knowledge of Oracle features rather than real-world
> situations. One I remember from the book is "What is the maximum
> number of control files allowed?". I thought "Who cares? If I try to
> allocate too many I'll get an error and know about it, why do I need
> to know that now?" It's 8, by the way...
>
> Still, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it.

What a marvelous piece of obscure and meaningless information. I agree with you. Who cares? The questions that would impress me into considering an OCP worth more than the paper it is printed on would be questions like:

  1. When should you consider creating more than two control files?
  2. Are there conditions under which you should not create a large number of control files?
  3. If you create multiple control files how should they be distributed to optimize scalability and performance?

Now that kind of knowledge has value.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 15 2002 - 10:36:53 CDT