Re: Recovery Question

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:11:29 +1000

In article <agtjar$2gm$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>, you said (and I quote):
> snip...
> You need to read up on Complete Recoveries, Incomplete recoveries, startup,
> shutdown, archiving, hot backups, cold backups, and consistency of
> datafiles.
>
> For starters.

Yup. Now, one that will make you hit the roof.

As these things go, I just had a DBA friend on the phone complaining about a third party vendor who is asking the following. I swear, this happened not even three hours ago!

Conditions: online backups.
"demands":
1- Never, ever backup the current control file. 2- Never, ever archive the current redo logs (after a switch) at the end of an online backup.
3- Use online datafile backups to ensure complete recoverability of the database in cases where the ENTIRE disk subsystem becomes stuffed. As in: kaput all control file copies, kaput all redo log groups.

The third party vendor's suggestion came from their OCP. My friend isn't one, but he reckons he's gonna have to follow the "advice". To make sure no-one has his ass for lunch in case something goes wrong.

I told him to follow their advice and also do the right thing by himself without telling anyone. That way he's got a flameproof shield.

You can come off the roof now. Sometimes I just have to sigh...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto